Sunday, June 26, 2011

Germany - June 23, 2011

We started out in two car loads for Salzburg, Austria around 7:00am.  Wanda, and I rode with Linda and Gary in their rental car.  The rest were in the van.  Apparently Spencer and Christopher slept the whole time since they had gotten home fairly late from going out on the town the night before and then Skyping with Olivia, singing songs and talking until late in Spencer's room.  We drove a couple of hours to the Dachau Concentration Camp memorial.  I'm not sure how to say that we viewed the camp... I hate to say toured or roamed or any word like that because it sounds so trite.  In fact, I really don't have any way to describe what I feel or think about the sight.  I believe that is something that everyone must feel and describe for themselves so I'll move on. 

We drove on to Munich which was very close by and all got out to look at the sights and eat lunch.  It was a German holiday so 99% of the stores were closed.  On top of that it started to rain at a pretty steady clip.  We shared umbrellas with different generations walking with their arms around each other to be close under the umbrella.  It was quite a lovely experience... at least it was for those of us that fitted under an umbrella.  I looked ahead and there was Linda and Spencer with their arms around each other sharing an umbrella.  Gary and Christopher toughed it out without umbrellas and looked miserable as a result.  Since it was raining so hard we went to the Hofbrau House for lunch.  It is a historic bar/restaurant that has been around since the 1600's (or something like that).  It was very large, very crowded, and very noisy.  We managed to snag a table after wandering around looking for one for a while.  Our waiter was a complete grump but I suppose that I would be too if I had to work in that atmosphere all day.  Our food was OK.  I had a cheese dumpling which was very tough and rubbery.  When we paid, apparently we undertipped and really tipped our waiter off because he wouldn't even take the amount that we tried to leave for him. 

We all got back into the cars and headed on to Salzburg which took a couple of hours of drive time.  We got to our bed and breakfast on the edge of Salzburg (where it was raining also).  It was owned by a husband and wife who turned their barn into several guest rooms plus they remodeled over their large garage for additional rooms.  Their large home was on the same property.  After we checked in we headed to downtown Salzburg which was a beautiful little city.  We passed under a mountain through a beautiful arch and there was the city before us.  Through the middle of the city a large, pretty angry river was running with beautiful buildings, churches, shops on each side of the river.  Again, we walked around in the rain trying to find a place to eat and finally settled on a little Doner shop.  Side note:  a Doner is quite a bit like a Gyro.  The shop owner was pretty ecstatic to see 11 customers in one group.  I think we probably made his day.  After we ate we went back to our B&B to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment